Foreign Family Members: Will or Trust?

Several client or their spouses are immigrants who are not US Citizens or have several foreign family members. This poses several costs and challenges when choosing to pass property, and should lead one to ask if they should have property pass by a Trust or by Probating a Will. The following issues apply for people who reside overseas and do not pay US taxes, also known as “Non-US Persons.” Remember that having/opening a Trust avoids all of these costs: A Trust does not pass through Probate, does not require a Court to approve a foreign Trustee, and assets are distributed much more quickly and at less cost. First, any person who is a Non-US Person cannot serve alone as an

Read More

DISCLAIMER: Attorney Advertising. Please note that prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. This site and any information contained herein are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Seek competent legal counsel for advice on any legal matter.